Author Topic: Origin &/or meaning of the "Heeh!" Tom makes after each call?  (Read 4273 times)

Nicholas Tanek

• Achilles bursitis
Origin &/or meaning of the "Heeh!" Tom makes after each call?
« on: October 22, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
Origin &/or meaning of the "Heeh!" Tom makes after each call?

Just curious...
I noticed that Tom does a short and high-pitched "Heeh!" sound almost after call. Was this something he always did? Was there an origin behind it? Is the a meaning behind it? Or... is it something he just does?

Read

The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself
by Nicholas Tanek
Link: http://amzn.com/B00GUSAX7G

Chipped Black Nail Polish
by Nicholas Tanek
Link: http://amzn.com/B00WUNS58O

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Origin &/or meaning of the "Heeh!" Tom makes after each call?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »
It's "bye." He talks about it during some of the shows. It has been variously interpreted phonetically - your interpretation is as good as any.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
I noticed that he generally only does this after good calls, have you found that to be true?
Your vigor for life appalls me.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »
I noticed that he generally only does this after good calls, have you found that to be true?

Yes - it's the good call equivalent of a GOMP or heave ho.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

MarkS

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
Tom also describes it as "the thing that became Gary the Squirrel" in the Best Show magazine.

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 03:41:09 PM »
Here's something I came across yesterday that blew my mind. In this 2002 episode of The Best Show on WFMU, Tom's throwing a going away party for Associate Producer Dave and trying to find someone to take his place. As he's talking to Ranger Jim and Hova from Greasy Kid Stuff, it is revealed that Tom has called that show in the past pretending to be a kid. Check out the voice (and the name that Tom used, once Jim reminds him it's not "Roger")!

http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=4850&archive=100602&starttime=1:14:02

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
I also remember it starting somewhere around 2002, around the time of themes like "Party Zone" and "Doc Shock" and "Xtreme Show" where Tom was goofing on radio masculinity.  I believe it may have started with a Petey call (that's the earliest I can remember him doing it). I remember it just being a kind of macho noise, like the audio equivalent of a chest bump, or a general "get pumped" kind of noise.

I'm nearing the end of 2003 in the archives (listening to one a day M-F) so this isn't terribly too far from my memory.

hairdryer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 12:19:03 PM »
Unless we're talking about two different things. The OP mentioned "high pitched" so it's probably not what I'm thinking of. Otherwise, it's just him saying "bye" in a really high pitched voice.

Nielsen

• Plantar Fasciitis

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 10:40:43 AM »
http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=23326&archive=100788

Explanation at the 01.33.33 mark.

Good catch. But I still love the high-pitched "Hi, it's me, Gary." in the clip I posted. It's like a low-energy Gary The Squirrel.