Author Topic: HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE BEST SHOW?  (Read 14918 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE BEST SHOW?
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:02:59 AM »
Everyone -

As you probably know, The Best Show is back. And now it is an independent venture. Not tied to any corporate overlords or parent companies. We are ON OUR OWN. And there is no subscription service or paywall. It's available for everyone to hear!

This is sink or swim business now. And if you're reading this, you're probably rooting for the "swim" option.

There are two ways you can help the show out right now.

1) LISTEN TO THE SHOW AND TELL EVERYBODY THAT THE SHOW IS BACK!

That's right! Just listen! Enjoy it! That's why we're doing it in the first place! So DO THAT!

But please make a point of telling people that yes, you are listening to it. And please tell people that the show is back! We're still operating off the grid here. Everything is being done on a level as grassroots as it gets. So the one thing I ask you as a fan of The Best Show is to spread the word and let your friends know that the show they loved before is back again. And tell them where they can hear it!

2) SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW ON ITUNES AND GIVE IT A GREAT REVIEW!

The subscription numbers will drive the advertising numbers. And soon we will have a very minimal amount of advertising on the show. It will be as painless as possible and you know what? it's gonna be fun to have it in the show. Trust me on that!

So go over to iTunes and make sure you're subscribed to The Best Show. And not The Best Show On WFMU. The new one. You can see the link here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/best-show-tom-scharpling/id949658944?mt=2

Subscribe to the show and give it a great review. That helps us out too.

Seriously, I am thrilled and proud that the show is back. And I can't wait to take it as far as we can all take it. But it's gonna require some help from you guys. I did everything I could to not ask you for money during the process - no Kickstarter, no Donate button, nothing! This venture is being funded by me and I'm really rolling the dice on this and I know you're gonna support the show. Why? Because IT'S CALLED THE BEST SHOW FOR A REASON!

Thanks so much. Let's do this thing.

Tom.

Mike Desert

Re: HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE BEST SHOW?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
haha, first review that popped up was from "wallflowersman98 ". So looking forward to all the new Best Show inside jokes to come....

Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »
haha, first review that popped up was from "wallflowersman98 ". So looking forward to all the new Best Show inside jokes to come....

That was me! I had to use an obscure name that FOTs would love since it was the first review for the show.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 12:40:04 AM »
Tom just posted this on Facebook...

In an effort to make room and to raise some pocket change for ‪#‎BestShow2014‬ - cables don't grow on trees! - I'm gonna sell more stuff.
If you're interested in any of the books below, write me at BestShow4Life@yahoo.com and say which ones you want. We will sort out the payment afterward! First come first served, US orders only. All $$ goes toward #BestShow2014!
Thank you!
#1 THE COMPLETE PEANUTS 1950 – 1954 (two volume set) H/C with slipcase first edition $40.00
#2 THE COMPLETE PEANUTS 1955-1958 (two volume set) H/C with slipcase second printing (2005) $35.00
#3 THE WOODSTOCK STORY BOOK by Linanne G. Sackett Collectors Edition hardcover w/ poster and four 8x10 photos, still sealed $25.00
#4 McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern Issue #7 still in rubber band, unread $22.00
#5 McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern Issue #11 H/C with DVD $15.00
#6 Daily Show books:
AMERICA (The Book) H/C and EARTH (The Book) H/C $20.00
#7 The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records by Ashley Kahn H/C, 1st edition $22.00
#8 2030: The Real Story Of What Happens To America by Albert Brooks H/C $18.00
#9 Pauline Kael For Keeps: 30 Years At the Movies softcover $15.00
#10 THE WAR FOR LATE NIGHT: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy by Bill Carter H/C
and
HOW TO WRITE FOR TELEVISION by Madeline DiMaggio, paperback
$22.00

wwwes

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
Just want to say that I hate iTunes. As a Windows user, it is a crazy overbloated (117MB download) piece of software that then invades other parts of your computer (why did it need to close MS Outlook to install?). But I did it just to subscribe to the podcast and add a rating.

All of which is to encourage other iTunes haters like myself to install, subscribe and rate, uninstall. It doesn't take that long.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:24 AM »
Also, if any FOTs out there work for an Apple Store or at a phone store, why not subscribe to the show on all the floor model phones and download the episodes? 

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:48:33 PM »
Will a donate button ever be available for people who want to give outside or beyond the current methods (Stereolaffs, live tour, iTunes support)?

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 10:54:49 AM »
i would love to set up a regular monthly donation to the show :)
Your vigor for life appalls me.

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »
is this the survey that tom mentioned on air this week? are there more of these?

http://www.podsurvey.com/tom

federationofideas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »
I just posted on the Dear Tom board, but thought I'd try here as well...
---
Hi Tom,

You always say the best way to help the show is by downloading the podcast, even if we listen live.  I'm a cubicle zero with no technological nohow, so my question is - if I STREAM the podcast from an app (I use Downcast) does that count as downloading, or do we need to download it in addition to streaming via podcast?

Thx

timmx

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
I am terrible at drawing but I bet someone more artistically and visually inclined could make a pretty interesting Best Show related visualization for this:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dear-data-and-fivethirtyeight-want-you-to-visualize-your-podcast-habits/

Bridgey

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »
I am terrible at drawing but I bet someone more artistically and visually inclined could make a pretty interesting Best Show related visualization for this:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dear-data-and-fivethirtyeight-want-you-to-visualize-your-podcast-habits/

Someone visualise the audio collages! I've always wanted to see a visual score with representations of tiny Kelsey Grammers falling off the stage, and of course, it would be limited edition merch!

invisobill

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 01:53:30 AM »
https://www.patreon.com/TheBestShow
Open up those pocketbooks, folks. It's time to show this show exactly what it means to us!
reddit.com/r/Newbridge

federationofideas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »
https://www.patreon.com/TheBestShow
Open up those pocketbooks, folks. It's time to show this show exactly what it means to us!

over a thousand members already  ;D

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 07:05:10 PM »
Another podcast I listen to (Chapo Trap House) makes like $31k a month from their Patreon page. They have 7k listeners, I think. Hoping Tom and Jon make $$$$$