Author Topic: Criterion DVDs  (Read 9990 times)

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Criterion DVDs
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »
They did Scanners and The Brood, surely Dead Ringers will be on its way soon.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 12:19:51 PM »
Yeah, their recent "Scanners" edition, along with the superb "Videodrome" and "Naked Lunch" double-discs, makes me think "Dead Ringers" will make it out at some point.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »
I sold my Naked Lunch a few years back and that still haunts me. I still have Videodrome and I randomly pour over the special features on it. That interview with Mick Garris interviewing Landis, Cronenberg, and Carpender is golden.

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »
I don't really care about early Cronenberg at all but "Naked Lunch" gives me the legitimate CREEPS. The bugs, the floppy sex thing, the parasitic sex scene. So repulsive. The end of "Dead Ringers" has an equal level of creepiness to me; there's just a raw emotional vulnerability in that final scene with the twins.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
It really is him at his most icky. I know people attribute that to The Fly or The Brood, but Naked Lunch is just so detached from reality and it takes you way the hell out where the buses don't run. I tried reading the book and it didn't give me the same spark.

agent_jimmy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 01:12:19 AM »
i think dead ringers is the creepiest thing i've ever seen. not the sort of thing i can exactly pin down either. i've showed it to some people and they didn't feel the same.

has anyone read his book, consumed? i got a dead ringers vibe from it. or more accurately compared it (negatively) to dead ringers. Reading the book made me want to watch dead ringers. also, it was weird to hear him talking about iPhones and such.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »
I had NO idea there was a novel of Dead Ringers. I'm trying to fill my Cronenberg gaps and Dead Ringers is next on my list.

I watched M. Butterfly the other night and I really loved it. Mainly because it is the first one of his movies that has any bit of warmth to it.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
one of my favorite movies just got released on Criterion and is SUPER cheap on both formats on amazon right now...

http://www.amazon.com/Valerie-Her-Week-Wonders-Blu-ray/dp/B00UUOVLLS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1435871006&sr=1-1&keywords=Valerie+and+Her+Week+of+Wonders
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 12:45:08 PM »
Criterion has been killing it lately. I have the first two already, but I want to pick up that Wallace Shawn/Andre Gregory boxset. One of the movies (maybe A Master Builder) has an hour-long convo with Shawn, Gregory and Fran Lebowitz, which sounds like my hallucinatory perfect Criterion extra.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »
Criterion's box sets are always dynamite. I need to save up for at least one of them.

Mike Desert

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
another 50% off sale at Barnes and Noble today!

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Mike Desert

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »
just got these (plus Sullivan's Travels which hasn't arrived yet...)

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
That Mignola cover for Devil's Backbone is dynamite. I love it so much.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2015, 11:22:24 PM »
i think dead ringers is the creepiest thing i've ever seen. not the sort of thing i can exactly pin down either. i've showed it to some people and they didn't feel the same.

Dead Ringers made me physically nauseous. I too cannot put a finger on exactly why. Swore off Cronenberg for a solid decade after that.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling